Practice & Principles
IPS supported employment helps people living with behavioral health conditions work at regular jobs of their choosing. Although variations of supported employment exist, IPS (Individual Placement and Support) refers to the evidence-based practice of supported employment.
Mainstream education and technical training are included as ways to advance career paths.
Characteristics of IPS Supported Employment
* It is an evidence-based practice
* Practitioners focus on each person’s strengths
* Work promotes recovery and wellness
* Practitioners work in collaboration with state vocational rehabilitation counselors
* IPS uses a multidisciplinary team approach
* Services are individualized and last as long as the person needs and wants them
* The IPS approach changes the way mental health services are delivered
Practice Principles of IPS Supported Employment